Monday, October 15, 2007

Bad Punctuation All Around Us

A colleague sent this link to a blog cataloguing instances of a certain pet peeve of mine:

http://www.apostropheabuse.com/

This reminded me of a bad business idea I once had: When I see mistakes like this on signs and menus (apostrophe mistakes seem to be the most common –- and for some reason, the most annoying), I would send the business manager a letter with a correction and explanation. Then I would ask the manager or owner to send me a dollar or two as a token of his immense gratitude. (I guess this would be the editing equivalent of taking photos of tourists with the expectation that they’ll buy the photo afterward. )

As a business idea, it’s horrible, which I suppose is why I’m not in business.

Ask me about my other business ideas sometime. (I don't know who I'm talking to. No one reads my blog.)

1 comment:

Tacobill said...

It's more of a chain letter type business model. "Since you're too stupid to spell send me a dollar" If you could send out enough of these I'm sure some idiots would probably send you money. However others might hunt you down and kick your ass.