Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In My Dreams

Many of us boast special powers in our dreams. We can fly, or run fast, or swim underwater for long periods. We may have the ability to fight, to see into the future, or to play the guitar without having learned how.

I have a special power in my dreams. In my dreams I am communicative. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. I can bare my soul without fear of embarassment or humiliation. I can express emotion without fear of rejection. I can love without fear of loss.

Many writers have suggested a connection between dreaming and writing. Dreams are a form of subconsious storytelling, and they may also inspire writers with ideas or interesting dialogue. For me, the connection runs even more deeply. Dreaming is writing because it gives voice to my thoughts and allows me to be who I really want to be. I look forward to dreaming just as I look forward to those times when I am truly lost in my writing. It is a kind of semi-conscious awareness in which thoughts are permitted to flow freely and without interpretation or editing. Maybe dreaming is a kind of rough draft for life. We try things out, and then when we're awake, we begin the tedious process of revision.

No comments: