Saturday, January 17, 2015

My So-Called Pen Name

The use of pseudonyms has a long and respected history in the world of letters. In the past, female writers with high-minded literary aspirations (such as George Eliot -- real name Mary Ann Evans -- and the Bronte sisters) adopted male pen names in order to be taken seriously by the establishment. Other writers, such as Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain, have adopted pen names because their real names seemed too ordinary or otherwise out-of-step with the work they were producing. Pen names help writers to shape their image and their message. This doesn't just mean improving marketing and sales, although that can be part of it; it's also about the writer creating his own identity and advancing his own story, in writer-like fashion. The poet James Dickey (actually his real name) has become famous after his death for all the half-truths he told as a way of advancing his own mythology. But the truth is that writers as artists used to creating stories and characters do this impulsively to some extent; they experiment with their identities and consider how their persona fits with the writing.

Hemingway's study (original photo).  Hemingway did not use a pen name.


The story of my own pen name, which barely qualifies as a pen name at all, is rather mundane in comparison to the stories of these great writers, of course. When publishing, I use the name "D. Brian Anderson," which is an abbreviated form of my actual full name "David Brian Anderson."  Clever, yes? I have been doing this since my first nonfiction book was published, but why? At first glance, it might seem rather pretentious (and it is considered pretentious, by some) to use a first initial like this, as if I fashioning myself to be some kind of W. Somerset Maugham or F. Scott Fitzgerald.
But the truth is that I adopted my "pen name" because there were too many other Brian Andersons lurking around. It turns out it's a very ordinary name.  When I worked for the Lunar and Planetary Institute, a NASA subcontractor, there were at least two other Brian Andersons working for NASA in the Houston area at the same time. I used to get annoying calls from a collection agent looking for one of them.

And that's the least of it. There are several semi-famous Brian Andersons, people who are well known and well respected in their fields -- certainly more well known than I am.  There's Brian Anderson the professional skateboarder, Brian Anderson the sportscaster,  Brian Anderson the retired major-league pitcher, Brian Anderson the current outfielder, and Brian Anderson the Australian academic.

This is just the top of the list. I used to have a more comprehensive list on my old geocities website (since deleted). It seemed weird and interesting to collect these in-name-only doppelgangers.

So as it was, when you google "Brian Anderson," you're going to get a whole lot of people besides me.  You may never find me, in fact.  But when you google "D. Brian Anderson," you'll get me (at least last time I checked).  Since I'm not a commercial author, this is not in any way designed to "increase sales," but it is just hoped that it might help the occasional reader or fellow writer get in touch. 

P.S. Here's an article I found while researching this post; it's a general reflection on the idea of using first initials.


1 comment:

KC Dockal said...

I know yet another Brian Anderson, a fellow in the fountain pen community. When I first "met" you I did a virtual double take.